MRUC is a unique body set-up for a purposive achievement and improvement of the media industry. It was formed with professionals who were keenly aware that media research should be conducted in an organized manner. The important areas that were identified for good research were:
- Research conducted at regular intervals
- Capturing relevant information on growing media and product ownership & consumption based on industry needs
- Well-validated data, ensuring high levels of accuracy, adequate sample size, good representation on sample spread
- To determine the needs and frequencies of research and/or surveys required for the assessment of various media for advertising.
- To conduct surveys and/or research into the readership, viewership and/or listenership of various media for advertising such as newspapers and periodicals, television, radio, outdoor hoardings and all other media, which carry advertisements.
- To maintain and propagate the highest possible standards of integrity, fairness and reliability in media research and to ensure that its output are not misused to convey a misleading impression by or to any party.
- To disseminate the findings of such surveys and/or research as are mentioned in Point 2 above through any medium with or without charge.
- To develop and disseminate software and other methods of handling media research and other data.
- To provide a forum for the discussion and resolution of disputes and/or issues relating to media research.
- To provide, maintain and uphold fair, sound, ethical and healthy principles and practices of media research.
- To promote better understanding of the benefits of fair, sound and ethical media research amongst media, advertisers and advertising agencies.
- To represent, protect, inform and guide the members of the Company on matters relating to media research.